Sliding door tint might be a different idea from ordinary window tinting. However, they are a major requirement in the process of making homes and offices more energy-efficient. There are more benefits, such as making your home more comfortable and secure. It’s not just the windows that need to be tinted. Sliding doors are also a major source of heat and light. So let’s find all the reasons you should tint your sliding doors.
Can I Tint My Sliding Doors?
Sliding door tint should be done carefully, as these are the most significant windows in a house. They allow the most amount of light into your home or office. The older ones are most likely to be tempered and uncoated and, therefore mostly inefficient. They also have a larger surface area when compared with ordinary windows. Therefore, it is recommended to install a sliding glass door window film. This can support the other window tinting and increase the energy efficiency of the building.
Reasons you Should Tint Your Sliding Doors.
Sliding doors are responsible for the most amount of sun’s energy in the interior. Therefore, window tinting these sliding doors is essential to optimize sunlight penetration. So let’s see why it is essential to install window tint for sliding glass doors.
Ensuring the privacy of your home is essential if you are living by a busy street. If the sliding glass door window film is transparent, there is more probability for the outsiders to see your interior similarly. Therefore, you can install a dark patio door tint to minimize this effect.
You might think that using curtains and blinds can work better for privacy. But since patio doors are often required for walking through, this might be not practical. Also, using curtains can completely cut off the sunlight from entering, which causes a higher level of darkness inside the house. Less illumination would also reduce your productivity. So, it is easy to use a suitable sliding door tint for the best results. You can even install Frosted Window Film for added privacy.
The window films also provide additional strength to the windows and doors. The laminated film prevents the glass from breaking easily. Even if a high impact blows the glass, the window film holds the shards together, without letting them shatter. This reduces damage and injuries caused by sharp glass. This effect makes it difficult for potential burglars to break in. Most robbers are opportunists who tend to break into vulnerable houses. Therefore, this threat can be easily overcome by the application of the Security Window Film.
Sliding doors are most suitable for sightseeing and observing the outside. But the high glare would cause strain on your eyes and affect your view. This happens in hot weather when the sunshine is bright. It would even irritate you when reading or watching something on a digital screen inside the house. Window tint for sliding glass doors can reduce this glare. So you can feel comfortable inside, even when it is scorching outside.
Protect Furniture and Fabrics
Most damage to furniture and fabric is caused by harmful UV rays. They cause premature fading of furniture polish, curtains, carpets, and upholstery. The harm caused to the skin and eyes is even worse. Sunburns and even skin cancers might occur as a result of continuous exposure to harmful radiation. Therefore, you need to avoid this as much as possible when staying indoors. If you have sliding glass doors, you can apply patio door tint. It helps to block UV radiation with an efficiency of up to 99%. Various other solutions can also be used in Home Window Tinting.
Window films can efficiently block IR rays, which are the main cause of internal heat generation. Especially when there are sliding doors with a large transparent area, there is more probability for these rays to penetrate inside. So application of tint on sliding doors can reflect and absorb solar energy. Proper tint film can reduce heat by over 85%. Therefore, sliding glass door window film is highly recommended for installation. You would be able to stay indoors in a cooler and more comfortable environment.
Reduce Utility Bills
This is the most important factor in terms of economic advantages. Since the window films can make your house cooler by reducing heat, you would need lesser air conditioning than before. Also, sliding door tint works just like the other window films to retain heat inside in colder seasons. Therefore, you would need to use less heating. This saves your electricity bills and reduces your expenses. The reduction of your bills can be observed clearly as you get the tint films installed. You can get more optimum solutions by the installation of Low-E Window Films.
Tinting Sliding Glass Doors Cost
The cost of sliding door tint application varies, depending on certain factors. The following is a list of these considerations for cost allocation.
- The size of doors – This is the total area of the coverage in square feet. It is also measured in inches.
- The type of glass – The type of glass may be annealed glass, tempered glass, or laminated glass.
- Variety of internal low E Coating – You can choose from single soft-coat, double soft-coat, triple soft-coat, and even hard coat. It’s essential to understand the type of coating before choosing what you want.
- The coating placement – Coating placement is also important, just like identifying the type of coating. There are four surface areas in double pane windows.
The four surface areas of double-pane windows are as follows:
- The first surface is the exterior surface that can be touched from the outside of the building.
- The second surface is the exterior inner surface on the same pane as the first surface. But this is not tangible as it’s sealed in-between the two panes.
- The third surface is the inner surface on the second window pane. This surface is also not touchable as it’s sealed in-between the two panes as the previous surface.
- The fourth surface is the interior surface you can touch from the inside of the building.
Considering the above parameters, the cost of patio door tint would range from $6 to $28 per square foot. A typical sliding glass door costs between $300 and $500, while an average double pane window might cost in the range of $100 to $150. This would slightly vary depending on the type of window film and the installer.
Can You Use Window Film On Sliding Glass Doors?
There are special types of window films that can be used on sliding doors. This is based on the type of requirement that the sliding doors require. Some of the commonly used tint films on sliding doors have special solar control daylight solutions. They are indicated below for your reference.
- Dual Reflective window films that are reflective on the outside can be used to maximize heat rejection. However, it remains neutral on the inside to maintain visibility and clarity of views.
- Silver series sliding door tints are constructed by applying thin layers of metals onto the window film. This is similar to the metalized window film. This silver reflective film provides high privacy and heat rejection and also maintains visibility.
- Ceramic window tint for sliding glass doors consists of solar absorbing technology. This is also able to provide high heat rejection without sacrificing visual clarity.
- The special sliding glass door window film with the spectrally selective technology also rejects heat. It allows abundant natural lighting.
- The Inferred Blocking Film successfully blocks 55% of the total solar energy. This window film is transparent and not much visible when installed on the glass.
- Low-E Window Film products also provide comfort in all seasons. It prevents heat from entering in the summer and avoids heat loss through the glass windows in the winter.
How Do You Tint a Sliding Door?
The method of patio door tint application is similar to the window tint installing. However, since these sliding doors are much larger in area, proper care should be taken when installing. Start with measuring the window and cutting the window film to the required size. Then wet the window thoroughly using a soapy water solution. Remove the clear backing of the window film and place the film on the wet glass.
Spray more solution to the outside to reduce friction and press it thoroughly using a squeegee. Remove all air and water pockets in between the film and the glass. Let the film rest until it completely cures after few days.
The installation is not so hard if you have enough patience and keep up with the steps correctly. But if you are not a handy person and doubt your skills, it would be a better idea to get professional help. Experienced technicians would get the work done precisely for you. Installation of window tint can also be done for your Commercial Window Tinting requirements.